Saturday, April 19, 2008

Man... is it over yet?

Well... this first one should be interesting.

For those of you who don't know, I work for a company called Transmontaigne. Been there since April 2005, officially, but been in the office since February 2005. Transmontaigne is a privately held company in Denver owned by Morgan Stanley. We work on the supply chain in petroleum and distillate products. We manage inventory, relationships with suppliers, transporters and end customers. We have several means of doing business... government accounts, private, business to business, and different means of billing. The company used to be in Atlanta, GA but the owner (at the time) wanted to be closer to his home in Denver. I work as a Supply Chain Analyst. My basic duties and responsibilities is to work on an account with Fed Ex, in joint cooperation with ComData Corporation. I manage the fuel accounts for them at their designated airport sites. Also, on the side, I work with State and local government agencies on their tax exempt fueling programs. I answer calls, reconcile fueling accounts, balance all accounts, and make sure that everyone pays what they should..

Last Monday (April 14), I found out that my department has been bought by another oil company called Mansfield Oil. Mansfield Oil is located in a suburb of Atlanta and has been around for 50 years. Like Transmontaigne, they are in Georgia, but are looking pursuing a second office in Denver, to accomodate their west coast customers and thriving business interests in the Western half of the US. They do the same stuff as we do, some of it better, some of it not so well. Initially, in this meeting, I thought I was safe from having to move... Then I got an email after the meeting from our CEO, indicating that I needed to attend a second meeting with Mansfield to discuss employment opportunities. Part of what I do has been bought and they want me to transfer companies and manage it!

So... now the predicament. I have an interview on Monday (April 21) or Tuesday to discuss our futures together... If they like me, they offer me a contract on Thursday and I have until the 30th to accept or decline their offer. I love Transmontaigne and the people there so this is a tough decision.

Luckily, Mansfield won't be moving us to their corporate offices in Atlanta, GA... maybe. I am still skeptical. They have indicated that they want a corporate office here in Denver. What I will be doing in the long-term is to be decided on Monday or Tuesday.

So... do I end up taking the offer, not being offered anything and take a severance package from Transmontaigne, or refuse their offer? Stay tuned... like the news... this story is still developing!

No comments: